Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Grey Toned Paper Palette

I found a new product that I am seriously excited about. Jack Richeson Co. Has started to make a paper palette that is toned grey. I'm surprised that it has taken so long for someone to make one of these.

Painting on a neutral grey toned palette has long been a preferred method for oil painters, it allows for more accurate color mixing, especially when your canvas is toned the same color. However, up until now painting with a toned palette has meant that you had to use a wood or plastic palette, which you have to clean.

Ok, maybe for most artists cleaning a palette isn't such a big deal, but for me it is a waste of the very small amount of time I get to paint each day. I'm also lazy and I really hate cleaning. So for the past few years I have been using paper palettes that I can just throw away (I also have a semi-disposable brush system) Unfortunately I really like to work on a toned surface which has made mixing on the bright white paper palettes a little annoying.

Now, my problems are solved, I really can have it all. Grey Matters (TM) is a pad of paper palettes that are toned a neutral grey. They come in 50 sheet pads in two sizes, I got the 12x16 one. So far I've only found it at one store, the Art Supply Warehouse online. I actually looked on Richeson's website and couldn't find it. Hopefully it will be carried more widely later on.

1 comment:

Darick Ritter said...

That is cool... I'm going to have to check this product out for myself.

- darick

lumi9painting.com
lumi9news.blogspot.com